“The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ” - Elder David A. Bednar

Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Fruity Pebbles Birthday Cake

My sixth birthday was coming up and at that time my mom was a single mom trying to make ends meet for her two little girls. Although, I never felt deprived and really had no idea of us ever wanting/needing anything, my mom told me this sweet story when I was in high school.

I remember my sixth birthday cake, it was one of my VERY favorites. I was so excited for this birthday. I remember my mom had a few of the neighborhood friends come over to play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey and musical chairs.

My mom told me she didn't know how she was going to afford to make me a birthday cake. I don't remember all the details but there happened to be a cereal box she had with an easy birthday cake recipe on the back. With that particular type of cereal she was able to make me a super colorful/fun for a six year old birthday cake.

She mentioned feeling so grateful for that tender mercy at that tough time in her life.

story submitted by
Brooke W.
Kaysville, Utah

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you don't have a photo of the cake. :) Heavenly Father gives us all inspiration and tender mercies, but I believe especially to mothers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what's wonderful is as a little girl, you never knew that you almost didn't have a cake. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete